Weis & Hickman to Publish New Dragonlance Trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weis & Hickman to Publish New Dragonlance Trilogy

Just in case you haven't heard of it all over facebook, twitter, ign, cbr, wired, youtube, etc.etc. etc.

The trilogy is coming!

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman to Publish a New Series Based on Classic Dragonlance

Wilmington, NC -- January 25, 2021 -- Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are pleased to
    announce a multi-year licensing agreement with Wizards of the Coast to produce a new, three
    book series of Classic Dragonlance novels.

The new trilogy will return fans to the most beloved characters from the original novels along
    with introducing a new strong protagonist. The books will be published by Del Rey Books, an
    imprint of Penguin Random House. Although a publishing date has not been formally set,
    they anticipate announcing when the first book will be released later this year.

"We couldn't be happier to be returning to the world we love," says Margaret Weis.
    "Dragonlance is what brought Tracy and I together so many years ago. We're thrilled to be able
    to do this for the existing lovers of Krynn while bringing our beloved characters to a new generation
    of readers."

The first Classic Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, was written by Weis and
    Hickman and published in 1984. Since hat time, more than 190 novels have been published in
    the setting. Weis and Hickman have collaborated on numerous series over the last 30 years
    including projects set within the world of Classic Dragonlance and outside of it. Two notable
    series are The Death Gate Cycle and The Darksword Series, both published by Penguin
    Random House.

"We credit the fans of Dragonlance for making this journey possible," says Tracy Hickman. "We
    wrote this series out of our thanks for them for this amazing life-long journey... and from our wish
    that they join us one more on the road to Solace."

The license for the series was secured by Weis & Hickman in 2018. Their recent dispute with
    Wizards of the Coast was resolved a the end of 2020, with all parties pleased to have come to
    agreement on how to best move forward with the trilogy. All are focused on producing the best
    series possible and will not comment on the past dispute other than to say it has been resolved.

Watch for additional news from Weis and Hickman about Classic Dragonlance and other
    projects on the horizon in the coming months.

For more information about Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, please contact:

Christi Cardenas (agent for Margaret Weis)
    The Plains Agency Inc.
    christic@theplainsagency.com

Matt Bialer (agent for Tracy Hickman)
    Sanford J. Greenburger Associates
    mbailer@sjga.com
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 01-26-2021, 12:47 AM.

I read the news earlier today and gasped out loud. My wife walked into the office and said "what happened? what's the matter?" I turned and looked at her with a giant smile on my face and just made a weird noise and she started laughing and said "what?!" I started excitedly and loudly explaining that "THEY'RE MAKING MORE DRAGONLANCE" and she was like "hey calm down, keep it down, Jack's asleep!"

Jack is our Jack Russel Terrier.

I said, "I don't care! Jack! JACK, THEY'RE MAKING MORE DRAGONLANCE BOOKS!"

Jack didn't react. I think he slept through my excitement.

I'm still beaming though. Dragonlance, along with Star Wars, was all I read back in high school. It was my first real foray into classic fantasy. Reading Dragonlance always feels like coming home. This is quite honestly exactly the kind of good news I needed after a rough couple of weeks.
    Listen to my music at my website!

Comment

The new trilogy will return fans to the most beloved characters from the original novels along with introducing a new strong protagonist.
      So we're going back to the Heroes of the Lance again? I'm glad we're getting more Dragonlance books after all these years, but I had sort of hoped the setting would move forward, not backward.
      Formerly Daos Soulstaff

Comment

Dark Disciple was fresh and new and left the setting at a great jumping in point. I was also hoping the new trilogy would be after that and they just market it as a new beginning.
        I'm still excited. The first two Lost Chronicles books are in my top 5 DL books so i'm sure they'll do a great job. I could get on board with a full reboot. Lets finally fix the editors screwing up second generation and summer flame.

And as for other DL authors getting in on the action, no thank you. I would rather have new talent and have W&H act as setting editors so we get more of a unified feel.
        "And me being strictly neutral I bashed everyone in sight!"

Comment

Originally posted by Abernathy View Post
          And as for other DL authors getting in on the action, no thank you. I would rather have new talent and have W&H act as setting editors so we get more of a unified feel.
          I'd be willing to make an exception for Chris Pierson being involved, though. Guy wrote some of the greatest non-Weis/Hickman DL novels ever released.
          Mercy is the mark of a great man.

I guess I'm just a good man.

Comment

Working...
          X